November 20, 2011

10 reasons my Dad is AWESOME



Meet my Pops.

His name is Oscar. Sometimes he is very similar to his trashcan dwelling counter-part...which is where I get it from too! Mwah ha ha
Moving on


This is my Pops as a youth. Doesn't he look like a handful? I mean look at that picture of him on the left. He looks like a small wolverine. I bet his mother prayed he would have children just like me and my siblings. He had lots of siblings and is one of the babies of the family.
Pops wanted to be like the rest of his siblings and went to Vietnam! Oh yes, yes, there is a lot more that happened between him being a mischievous youth and this picture. But this is just an introduction. 

What we want to know is why my dad is so awesome at being a dad. He seems to have been a pretty ordinary kid. Maybe a little gangster but still.

Little known fact:Pop's parenting manual actually never got mailed to him from the powers that be. He actually had to figure it out as he went along...and he doesn't think he did a very good job. Which is sad. I like to think that no parent does a good job at first. It takes lots of practice. Sometimes all your kids need to be in their mid-twenties or much much older. We understand you are doing your best though. And honestly, I can't imagine anyone doing any better given the circumstances. Even Liam Neeson was a crappy parent at first before he killed all the terrorists in Europe to save his daughter (Reference movie Taken)

Besides, we have provided you with only the best training.


So without further ado here are 10 reasons why my Dad is awesome.


10) He has introduced me to the good movies. Here is an example


Even John Wayne can make an excellent romantic comedy. Real men can be sensitive & have feelings.


9) He mailed my sewing machine to me without it breaking.


Sometimes all you need is a whole crap ton of duct tape and bubble wrap. Oh, and a box from your new camping stove.

8) He is the embodiment of Carl Fredrickson...only a tad bit younger.


SAME PERSON!



7) If it matters to his children it matters to him. I went through the Salt Lake LDS temple for my 24th birthday to receive the ordinance of the endowment. He flew up to support me because it mattered to me and is still supporting me in my decision to be an active member of the latter day saint faith.

6) He still loves my mother.
And he can't get rid of that no matter how crazy vegetable-like mentally ill she is. I wish I could be a little more like that.


5)  He is a dinosaur
Now that is OLD!


4) He goes on daring adventures with me!

And makes me feel like a super hero when we go hiking. Yay!! I can run around the delicate arch faster than a 60 year old! Oh and he was a good sport and made it out the whole 3 mile hike. 

3) He made a deal with me that he wouldn't die until I got married. And had a kid.

Welcome to breaking the world's oldest man record Pops. Your goal is in sight.

2) He can pretend to be hardcore knowing full well his back will probably hurt later.

I'm a 60 year old man and I do what I want!!
I bike from Montana to Wyoming CAUSE I CAN!

1) He is coming to understand that he isn't dead yet. To put it simpler, even though he is 61 he still has a lot of life left and more time to change for the better. Sometimes we let ourselves dwell on the past. I'm sure it will get more tempting the older we get and the more we go through. But while we still have tomorrows to look forward to we should really get up and do something about it. He may be retired from the work force but that only means he has QUADRUPLE THE TIME TO SPEND WITH HIS FAMILY! God Speed Daddio. Keep forging the path ahead. You aren't as bad at this parenting thing as you believe yourself to be.




No comments:

Post a Comment